Wednesday, June 4, 2008

From HIM I learnt.

.........contributed by Mithila Vaidya

It was one of the unusual days when I was travelling by train to appear for an interview at CST. Unusual, because I am fortunate enough not to take Mumbai's so-called overcrowded life-line (the Railways) to commute to work atleast.

So......... amongst a few travellers in the ladies II nd class, there came a small boy, about 5-6 years of age pleading for alms. As always, my heart went out to him (or any such underprivileged human) and some thoughts came to my mind ........ Why does God inflict so much pain on such innocent souls ??? When will they ever come out of this vicious circle of poverty ???? And here I was cribbing about the endless frustration of appearing for interviews and nothing materialising out of them ... and not counting on my blessings ........ Some day I would really love to organise an
event where all the road-side dwellers will be fed food ...... ... how many times this thought must have crossed my mind ........... !!!!

This little non-professional then belted out a number from a popular Hindi movie .... Some words were incorrect, some funny while still some self-made ..... After stopping, he held out his hand to ask for his dues from those who were audience to his unwarranted performance ... While I, as per my true nature, just waved him away, there were others who were laughing away, ridiculing him ... This really ached me to the extent of fighting back tears............... What hurt me most was that majority of them were college going girls..... This kind of indifferent and uncouth
behaviour wasn't expected from them... Had they been the aunty-types it was understood, but definitely not the young lot ......

However, the protagonist of my story, the little boy, did not deter a bit .....He was oblivious to the mockery being made of him .....He persistently pursued the task in hand ... Completed his round of begging ................. I was hoping that he should not cut short his round of begging and instead look boldly in their eyes and show his might ..... To others he may or may not have taught, but that one small incident taught me a few things ........... From Him I learnt focus, from Him I learnt determination, from Him I learnt that if I still had a long way to go before I find the job of my choice , I should not be deterred ................ !!!

From Him ........................ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Bob1806 said...

Hey! is the u busy dee! u write grt! keep it up! will post more later

Naina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naina said...

Quite touching I must say. However, if we list out our strengths and weakness, we will be a in better position to learn from others.

It is indeed commendable to observe and learn. But don't you think it is important to ponder over the fact that life is all about adaptability which is precisely what the little boy has done.

It is more of survival instinct than killer instinct.

And you my friend must live by the killer instinct and not by the survival instinct.

Unknown said...

Tangy ..

thnx for d comemnt ...

Ur opinion is worth a discussion .... lets c when & how it happens ...

Regards !!

Nayana Narayanan said...

Its a loveli write up. The indomitable spirit of the boy is admirable. Most of us have faced this situation in life when people are scornful of our attempts at doing certain tasks. However, whats important is to remain undeterred by all the negative external influences.

Last but not the least...you have got the message right girlie...and expressed it well too !!!

Best of luck for your future posts.

Unknown said...

thnx Naina !!

i Knew atleast u wud comment !! thnx !!

Ashish Pradhan said...

Most likely, the kid must have been loaned.. According to me, its all a racket in this dog eat dog world..

But then, some compassion is what still makes this world tick.